Welcome back to SOULPOWER readers. One of the major problems nowadays which goes unnoticed is anxiety and stress. Our lives have become fast paced and we get very few to no time to take a moment to relax for a while.
So how to cope up with anxiety and stress? There are medications at present which helps people to reduce their anxiety and stress for a while. Well that is not a permanent relief though.
The natural remedy to get rid of anxiety is breathing.
Breathing is Everything. Just comment down at the end of the post, “BREATHING IS EVERYTHING “, as it makes more effective impact on your subconscious mind.
From ancient time to the modern days, the Yogis, the self help gurus, the psychologists, all have made us aware of the fascinating benefits of breathing.
Breathing is used as a treatment for a person’s physiological and psychological healing. There’s no better remedy than breathing literally. It is the controlled by our Parasympathetic Nervous System(PNS). Even though breathing is autonomous and automatic in our daily lives, we can still have effective control over the way we breathe.
So here are the scientifically proven and tested ways to calm down your nervous system to reduce anxiety and stress.
#1 The Pranayama Technique(Nadi Shodana).
Yogis from ancient times and the Yogis at the present, they all recommend the practice of this particular breathing technique. Pranayama helps to calm down physically and mentally. It is believed that Pranayama supplies equal energy to both the left and right hemispheres of our brain which enables us to think more clearly.
So, How to practice it?
1. Sit comfortably with your spine erect.
2. Take slow deep breaths until you feel relaxed.
3. And then, close your right nostrill with your thumb and take a deep breath in through your left nostrill and exhale with the same. Alternate the nostrills. Do it for 10 mins and see the changes in your physical and mental states.
#2. The 4-7-8 breath technique.
This technique is pretty simple to do. Not only it helps to calm down but also increases the quality of sleep when you do it before you go to the bed.
So, how to practice it?
1. Inhale for 4 seconds deeply into your belly.
2. Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
3. Exhale fully for 8 seconds.
This breathing technique is safe and easy for most of the people out there. So do it yourself and see the benefits.
#3. Progressive muscle relaxation technique (PMR).
PMR is used by psychologists as well to induce a calm state of mind in their patients.
It’s very simple to do.
1. First of all, find a comforatble place to lay down.
2. Take few deep slow breaths until you feel relaxed.
3. Tense your leg muscles while inhaling and relax while exhaling.
4. Tense your abdominal muscles with Inhale and relax while exhaling.
5. Tense your both arms with every inhale and relax with each exhale.
6. Tense your neck muscles with Inhale and relax with exhales.
7. Do this sequence for 10 reps and relax with deep breathing.
#4. Holotropic breathwork.
This is one of the breathing techniques which is not recommended to the people with Asthama, High Blood pressure and other physical conditions as the process involves intense breathing techniques.
Holotropic breathwork was used by the psychologists in the West in the late 70’s to treat the patients suffering from Anxiety, Depression and other mental disorders. The patients got permanent relief from the symptoms and were found to have normal cognitive functioning throughout their life.
Well, anyone without any medical condition can practice the Holotropic breathwork to tap into altered states of consciousness or to have spiritual experiences. But the only caution is to not do it alone. Find a friend who can help you out during the process.
So, How to practice this?
1. Take deep breaths down into your abdomen to relax.
2. After relaxation, take deep breaths with a normal pace and do not hold the breath. You have to immediately release the breath as soon as you exhale. At each exhale, take a deep breath in immediately.
3. Continue to breath this way for about 20 mins. Ask your friend to be there and wake you up at the end of the 20 minute session.
4. Stay there laying down and relax for a while. That’s it, you are done.
So guys, those were the breathing techniques by which you can absolutely get rid of the anxiety disorders and stress with regular practice.
That’s all from me today. Thank you for being here. Take care. Namastey.